About Civic Multifamily
Civic Multifamily is a direct, non-bank bridge lender focused on providing value-add loans to real estate investors and developers. Civic Multifamily is a division of Civic Financial Services which was established in 2014 and since that time has funded over $1.8 billion in non-owner occupied investment residential loans. Civic Multifamily is spearheaded by Brian Murphy, an industry veteran with a track record of performance over 16 years in the real estate and lending space. Although new to the multifamily bridge lending space, Civic Multifamily is quickly gaining market share with its aggressive programs and first-in-class service.
Civic Multifamily is laser focused on funding commercial multifamily properties from 5 to 100 units. Civic Multifamily’s commitment to funding a specific asset class enables it to offer competitive terms and flexible financing that other lenders cannot. Unlike other multifamily lenders, Civic Multifamily is able to finance extensive rehab in addition to the more common uses of loan proceeds such as purchases or refinances.
Loan sizes from $500,000 to $10 million
- Loans secured by multifamily property with 5 to 100 units
- Specializing in rehab loans, with proceeds for purchases, refinances or cash-out loans
- Nationwide lending footprint specializing in performing markets currently approved by Civic (eligible states include: AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, HI, NC, NV, OR, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA)
- Interest only loan terms of 1, 2 or 3 years are available
- Interest rates range from 7.75% to 8.5% that are fixed for the term of the loan
- Loan origination fees range from 1% to 2% of the loan amount
- Loan-to-cost (LTC) up to 80% with a maximum 75% loan-to-stabilized value
- No minimum DSCR or debt-yield requirements
- Loan closings in as little as 5 days
- Non-recourse financing, no personal guarantee required
- No set minimum credit score, sufficient borrower liquidity and net-worth required
- No prepayment penalty or interest guarantee on 1 year loans, 8 month interest guarantee on 2 year loans and 12 month interest guarantee on 3 year loans
The Loan Process
LendVer did not shadow the application or loan process for Civic Multifamily but its website offers basic information about how to get started. Applicants can request to be contacted here by filling out some basic information and from there a representative will reach out to assist in the process. Although bridge loan underwriting focuses primarily on the asset, in this case the multifamily property, expect to provide a loan application that will include personal information about your income and assets as well as your property investment experience.
Civic Multifamily does not require that you provide tax returns to verify your personal income, but will require third-party reports be completed for the subject property. You will be responsible for paying for the third-party reports that are required for Civic Multifamily to complete its loan due diligence, and Civic estimates those costs will be approximately $5,000. The third-party reports you can expect Civic Multifamily to require for your loan will include an appraisal report and (if applicable) an environmental report and a seismic activity report. In some cases Civic Multifamily will also require an in-person site visit as part of its due diligence process. Civic Multifamily will also underwrite off of pro forma rents (proposed market rents) which is a great advantage over lenders that underwrite off in-place rents which may be below market. Since Civic has funded over $1.8 billion in loans, the company is experienced in moving through the processing and underwriting stages swiftly, which is why Civic Multifamily advertises loan closings in as fast as 5 days.
If your Civic Multifamily loan includes funds for the rehab of your property, those funds will be held by Civic and disbursed via an agreed upon draw schedule in accordance with your renovation plan. Civic Multifamily charges a flat $1,500 fund control fee which includes up to 3 draw requests, a feasibility review, document cost review and contractor review. There is a $1,500 underwriting fee due at closing as well, but Civic Multifamily does not charge a legal fee which is a huge cost savings compared to other lenders.
- Low interest rates and fees starting at 7.75% and 1 origination point.
- Non-recourse financing up to 80% LTC with no personal guarantee required.
- Fast closings and low closing cost fees compared to other lenders.
- Underwriting off of projected rents and no tax returns required.
- Small and large loan sizes considered from $500,000 to $10 million.
- Civic has funded over $1.8 billion in loans since 2014 providing a strong backstop of experience.
- Civic Multifamily only lends in AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, HI, NC, NV, OR, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA.
- For rehab loans reserves equal to 6 months of interest payments plus a percentage of the rehab budget are required.
Why Civic Multifamily is the Best
Civic Multifamily has differentiated itself from its competition by offering a non-bank bridge loan product at affordable terms and with unique characteristics such as low closing costs, no personal guarantee and extensive rehab financing. Civic Multifamily’s ability to underwrite based on pro forma rents and the strength of the collateral makes its program flexible and simple to navigate.Visit Civic Multifamily